Saturday, May 21, 2011

YOU AND I


YOU AND I


Words in their primary or immediate signification stand for nothing, but the ideas in the mind of him that uses them. ---John Locke
 

Are you talking to me? Are you writing to me?
Answers to questions you pitch into the dark
are meanings I assign to the questions you ask.  

Always, you and I, will be at opposite ends
of a half-lit hallway where echoes are as urgent
as the tremulous confessions we burden ourselves  

with each time we look into our reflections
on the one-way mirrors we look into when hiding
hurts hurled like hunting knives at target trees.  

When I call you, I mean to quickly hold you down,
to find your voice, to shape your feelings, to own
your thoughts, to mould you as I want to have you.  

I interpret you through my own lenses and mirror
you as you would me and have our confluence
in this reflection, a dragging into a cold dungeon 

of thought constructing meaning instead of finding
it, and the “You” becomes the “I” held in bondage.
Except that in this conquest, I lose everything.

Questions and answers become elusive phantoms
of meaning, configurations of troth to the other
turn into fantasy, dreams and desire but delusions.

---Albert B. Casuga
 05-20-11

Prompt Poem:  "You" by Luisa A. Igloria, Via Negativa, 05-18-11, http:/www.vianegativa.us/2011/05/you/


No comments:

Post a Comment